AOM on Gameranger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The first community of Age of Mythology Gameranger gamers!

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My guide to playing Poseidon.

Go down 
+7
{PK}Clown
Evil_Vegito
[Bo0T]Lucifer***^
{PK}Mirez
[bMF]::Odysseus
RageNrOx
Jake
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
{PK}Mirez

{PK}Mirez

My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 7:44 pm

If he has 1 siege tower it will get destroyed by your hippikons...
Every isis/set player will mass scorpion man against poseidon. they are very effective against hippikon and poseidon's only counter can easily get sniped by chariots.
I've watched plenty of ghostlake games and every time his opponent is smart enough to make spearmen he has a major problem and places 3 archery ranges at once. It's a lot easier to just autoq 2 stables and 1 toxoses. You can still raid with hips, and have a stronger army overall. (either 20 hips and 10 tox or 25 hips) Besides this will make it a lot easier to balance your economy as well.
Back to top Go down
Jake

Jake

ID ID : 376747

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 9:59 pm

I do know that 2 stables 1 archery range is safer to begin with for in case he decides to classical fight.

But can't we just run away from a/e with a hippikon army hardly getting hurt?
Which means we don't need forward walls, right?
Isin't it easier to run than to make forward walls?
Aren't we likely to forget to make the forward walls? (especially the newbies?)

Against Ra or Set, if he has say 2 outside gold mines, we split hippikon army into two, he starts building migdol at one of these gold mines, we can converge our hippikons quickly to attack the foundation.
Back to top Go down
{PK}Mirez

{PK}Mirez

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 11:29 pm

no because hips are slow and minions are very fast, besides they last for a very long time. You'll want to wall anyways against chariot raids. Besides like I said if he makes spearmen you're screwed.
Back to top Go down
{PK}Clown

ID ID : 1926539

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2011 6:14 am

Good guide, Jake!
Back to top Go down
[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

ID ID : 375862

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Finally read yor guide xD
For a beginner it truly explains every vital part of supre. Very detailed, easy to follow with some notes.
Btw I'm an oranos player and i started to use this booming + soft raiding vs greeks.
aom-gr.forumotion.com/t1186-king_amit-vs-bo0tnakamura
Just wanted to ask how possy counters this.
Back to top Go down
{PK}Mirez

{PK}Mirez

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2011 5:01 pm

hippikons + toxoses + early pestilance work nicely. However in the long run oranos still wins because kapeltests are the best cavalry counter in the game and shockwave makes you win 3 battles.

The poseidon can also go hip+centaur but 3x valor and shockwave should still give oranos the win.
Back to top Go down
Jake

Jake

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2011 8:23 pm

If you watch the rec with the fog of war turned off, you will notice that he had plenty of hippikons+heroes to fend off your initial attack on his hunters (but just didn't have them in the right place).
btw, i watched the whole game.

Your opponent's problem lies with the basic concept about the game.
The newbie's concept about the game is 'destroy the enemy's army and you win'. It was my concept too, not so long ago geek
I now believe that the correct concept is 'the purpose of a military is to protect it's economy, and then to destroy the enemy's economy'
Now if he had that concept etched in his mind, after building his military buildings, he would have set the rally point to his hunters (who are in an unsafe position).
After fending off your attack there, he would proceed to attempt to push you off your hunt, and then other resources if possible. (Settlements are also to be considered as your resources like i said in guide)

If you are spending resources on a TC, and he is spending all his resources on his army (means he is the raider or aggressor), then he would have a larger army. He did.
But if he does not try to prevent you from getting your TC up, then after about 4 mins, you've recovered the cost of the TC and have gained an advantage over him.
I believe that this is what HellsRavage meant when he explained about the raider or aggressor (king_Amit in this case). I'm quoting him again "If you cannot raid and disrupt your opponent's eco, then you will surely lose the game, unless he cannot do the same either(don't bet on it).Raiding can make or break the game for you."

A wise king_amit would not randomly attack your tower (because it is not protecting any citizens), and certainly will not stand in 2 tower range with your army and give you a lot of free kills.
Back to top Go down
{PK}Mirez

{PK}Mirez

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Jake wrote:

I now believe that the correct concept is 'the purpose of a military is to protect it's economy, and then to destroy the enemy's economy'
this is incorrect, for the most part the game is about gold, if your opponent cannot get gold you will win.
If you attack there's no need to defend your economy. You're enemy can still win even though he has a weaker economy.
Back to top Go down
Jake

Jake

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2011 9:01 pm

Ahh, you are right. We don't need to destroy his miners, just need to scare them off, right? Twisted Evil

{PK}Mirez wrote:

You're enemy can still win even though he has a weaker economy.

Only if we make some mistake right?
Please just don't gimme that atty>possy bs again.

Edit:
@Clown and Naka,
Yay, I'm happy about my guide.
Back to top Go down
{PK}Mirez

{PK}Mirez

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2011 9:19 pm

no, not at all
set has the weakest economy in the game, lowest gathering rates, no bast upgrades, no rain and no prosperity.
To top thinks of I go fast heroic most of the time, that means I will have fewer villagers and I spend 1300 resources to get heroic while my opponent used it on his economy/army, yet I still win quite a lot using fh

as for atty vs poseidon, it's common knowledge oranos has a big advantage. Kronos has somewhat an advantage and gaia on some maps.
Back to top Go down
[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2011 9:27 pm

@ Jake : Thanks for your full comment on that match, you changed my thinking again.
@ Mirez : Exactly how can Gaia have an advantage over Poseidon? I know that you can use lush to prevent any building (drop site), but on the military side of things, Gaia's army can't do much to a centaur eco strangle, as she doesn't have free heroes through valor. Just upgrade the cents and have 3 raiding troops. With their speed it's gonna be easy to kill vills unless they can get garrisoned... Not even turma heroes can catch them. As for heroic age, the upgraded contarius should be good enough to fend it off.
Back to top Go down
{PK}Mirez

{PK}Mirez

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:01 am

it's true centaur raiding is probably your best bet but if the gaia player places his manors wisely it's hard as hell to actually kill a villager (you'll need 5 so they can instantly kill a vill)
Besides I sad on some maps, low hunt maps favor atties in general

also, nobody makes contarious, that's ridiculous
Back to top Go down
[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:44 am

I tend to use them in lategame after i did the theia upgrades. Its just how you use them... you gotta look for weakly defended regions. Of course they cant serve as tower remover, but imo they are a nice surprise force. Market kill is my fav.
Back to top Go down
{PK}Mirez

{PK}Mirez

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:46 am

only time you see them used is to kill a wonder in very lategame, but they are too expansive for other stuff. Especially considering gaia doesn't have access to heart of the titans
Back to top Go down
[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:05 am

Yeah really to expensive... I just hit and run attack unprotected buildings and heal them with Caladria xD. If you don't do this constantly it's a waste of resources and population indeed.
Back to top Go down
{PK}Mirez

{PK}Mirez

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:06 am

there's no arguing with you, you've never played at any decent level so theres no point
Back to top Go down
[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm improving constantly in supre, even though its not my main goal with aom. I just offered my opinion, no need to go mad at me, i wasn't being an asshole either when you offered your crappy opinion about colossus spam in dm. (and yeah destroyers are just good for the same job instead of contarius). Let's get back to topic i guess.
Back to top Go down
{PK}Mirez

{PK}Mirez

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Have you ever actually seen a 1700+ player use contarius in heroic? no why? they suck.
In theory they sound nice with the theia upgrades but they cost more then an elephant and die very quickly. The resources are better spend on aging up or other upgrades.
Back to top Go down
Jake

Jake

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:01 pm

You don't have to be so rude, Mirez.
Back to top Go down
[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:16 pm

I said "lategame". Meaning stable eco part of mythic.
Back to top Go down
{PK}Clown

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 12:27 am

Mirez is the man, guys.
Back to top Go down
[Bo0T]Lucifer***^

[Bo0T]Lucifer***^

ID ID : 376736

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 6:49 am

{PK}Mirez wrote:
there's no arguing with you, you've never played at any decent level so theres no point

Something tickling you , tiger ?? As a mod u shud know better to make statements like that one . Everyone has their own gametype , and to be completely honest ; we do laugh together when u voice ur opinion about Deathmatch , but we dont make a post about it , we stick to the discussion on why it was a bad idea and we tell you what could be a better one .
Back to top Go down
{PK}Clown

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:10 am

Lucifer, please stop insulting our intelligence.
Back to top Go down
Vaga

Vaga

ID ID : 712824

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:19 am

[Bo0T]Lucifer***^ wrote:
{PK}Mirez wrote:

Something tickling you , tiger ?? As a mod u shud know better to make statements like that one . Everyone has their own gametype , and to be completely honest ; we do laugh together when u voice ur opinion about Deathmatch , but we dont make a post about it , we stick to the discussion on why it was a bad idea and we tell you what could be a better one .

compared to mirez your a scub. Mirez can easily play dm on your lvl while not being a dm player you cant even put a fight in supremacy. your just a pathetic little noob who thinks he's something because he can beat a few kids in dm on gameranger. And the sad thing is everybody here knows Mirez>You.
Back to top Go down
[Bo0T]Lucifer***^

[Bo0T]Lucifer***^

ID ID : 376736

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 10:19 am

PKClown wrote:
Lucifer, please stop insulting our intelligence.

When someone gets into our business , we respond in kind .

Vaga wrote:

compared to mirez your a scub. Mirez can easily
play dm on your lvl while not being a dm player you cant even put a
fight in supremacy. your just a pathetic little noob who thinks he's
something because he can beat a few kids in dm on gameranger. And the
sad thing is everybody here knows Mirez>You.

Hey vaga , nice to see you too Very Happy ; i realized flaming keeps the community alive more than just discussing boring strategies ; so i support you 100 % now Very Happy . Your flaming is what i look forward to now , for a change lol!

P.S - I did play Mirez once and he lost pretty quickly . I suppose Mirez could play DM on my level , but the fact that he doesnt and then talks about it is quite pointless, by the same logic ; dont u think ?

Looking forward to you replying with some pointless flaming again ,

Cheers,
Bo0T_Lucifer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My guide to playing Poseidon.   My guide to playing Poseidon. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My guide to playing Poseidon.
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next