Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in RegisterRegister

Share | 

Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
AoL_Iron_maiden

ID ID : 1203937

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:00 am

um..... i 100% disagree with all of that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
{PK}Clown

ID ID : 1926539

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Ratings can make people more competitive, but it's up to those people to rein in their competitive spirits in order to prevent the undermining of the competitive soundness of a game. The problem is not with ratings, but with those who are more focused on points than on winning, which are two different things. Now, do these abuses undermine the philosophy behind the rating system? I think it is an overreaction to say yes.

GR's interface is simpler, but Voobly looks more historical by looking similar to the Zone. To me, it's neither here nor there.

Voobly is at least trying to eliminate hackers with its complaint system whereas GR has, to my knowledge, done nothing. We, as a community, pretty much have to act against the cheaters on our own.

On the one hand, I wish everyone would play on GR, and I do play on GR. However, I am also sympathetic to a good GR player who switches to Voobly because they want a rating system "just like old times" that would identify the noobs as being losers with a 1 win 50 loss record. I am sympathetic to those who are looking for games that are more competitive without these random GR idiots. When people do team games with the randoms, either the good players all go on one team and gang up on the randoms or good players get stuck on teams with noobs whereby the game is stacked against them and they inevitably get doubled. In these games, either the game is too easy or it's too hard; and either way, the games are not as fun as they could be if there was a better competition level.

These GR randoms are the reason why the GR community can't progress. They are horrible players. They are so stupid that they are unable to understand that when my clan and I host rooms trying to recruit players, we are not there to play; and they still ask us to start the game as if we were playing. You could tell them five times this and they still don't understand. Otherwise, if they were to join clans, they aren't active or committed enough to develop. GR would be a better place if all these people joined clans and worked on becoming better players. It's not our fault that they are horrible players who refuse to become better and therefore more useful in the community.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AoL_Iron_maiden

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:15 am

it's a very interesting how fine the line is, isn't it.... between competition with and without points involved.
in my opinion, ya you're right about clans encouraging competition and such.

i have seen gr players progress a LOT, and i am impressed.
i think that having a rating system will indeed accelerate the process. I think that without that aspect of the dignity or even ego drive to win points, that gr players aren't probably to achieve as high of a competitive level as players that can and do play for rate. it seems like it's that little bit of extra force that pushes people's skill over the top Smile.
yes of course there are players that only play for points. pointsopintspointspointsopints that's their only mindset and it takes out some of the fun of the game. (of course there are those that are so focused on points that it pushes them to cheat, which of course voobly mods punish). But these players that are so driven to keep their points is part of a nice recipe for really gg's to be had and watched. I've had some really epic games played because i did not want to lose rating.... or perhaps i didn't want my opponent to have the higher rating haha (talk -_-).

anyways, i prefer playing on voobly because of the option to play both rated and unrated games. i can have some casual gg's with some dudes from eso, then right afterwards play a hard fought, epic battle and win some points from a player Smile.
it's a bit of a 'best of both worlds' type of thing. especially since cheaters get banned Smile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RageNrOx
Admin

ID ID : 376121

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Voobly is making efforts and is now better on many points.

But the GR community is bigger, games are started quickly and most of pple are not pro, they are medium or noobs and don't really care if some games are wasted with unbalanced teams. They want a quick launch and that's almost all.
To counter the lack of rating system, they play with friends and "level groups" are thus formed.
The problem is GR community is not unified in a signle place, it was at beginning here but now most of them are just free electrons and even if voobly is gonna be perfect, you won't be able to advertise them efficiently.

GR has grown up because it brought what pple were looking for : "free and easy system".
All hamachi and other communities came but, even there, it was long and tedious.
And I really don't know what voobly could do to make them change again.

{PK}Clown

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:06 pm

@ Maiden,

I think that the "improving" crowd is probably a minority beside the legion of idiots out there who are a waste of GR's bandwidth. They are not improving and they can't even figure out why a room with a description such as "Join PK" would not entail playing a game. I don't think ratings would make a difference to people with minds so inert. They can't even read a room description properly ... what can someone like that understand how embarrassing it is to have a rating like 1479 and a win-loss record of 2 wins 50 losses?

@ Rag

Indeed, "free electrons." That's a good way to describe these 'clowns' that I am talking about.

Good for them if they don't mind unbalanced games and somehow think it's funny to let the better members of their team get doubled while they sit there and do nothing ... but people with such inert minds are not good for competitive value.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
[Bo0T]Lucifer***^

ID ID : 376736

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:34 pm

{PK}Clown wrote:
@ Maiden,

I think that the "improving" crowd is probably a minority beside the legion of idiots out there who are a waste of GR's bandwidth. They are not improving and they can't even figure out why a room with a description such as "Join PK" would not entail playing a game. I don't think ratings would make a difference to people with minds so inert. They can't even read a room description properly ... what can someone like that understand how embarrassing it is to have a rating like 1479 and a win-loss record of 2 wins 50 losses?

@ Rag

Indeed, "free electrons." That's a good way to describe these 'clowns' that I am talking about.

Good for them if they don't mind unbalanced games and somehow think it's funny to let the better members of their team get doubled while they sit there and do nothing ... but people with such inert minds are not good for competitive value.

Some people would just like to have fun with the game and not care about rates and related stuff . Inert minds ? More like " normal " minds if you ask me .

There is No One who cannot be defeated and Nothing that cannot be done .

Back to top Go down
View user profile
{PK}Clown

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:47 am

I want to have fun with the game. I don't need a rating system to have fun because it is possible to have satisfactory levels of fun without being motivated by improving my rating. However, is it "normal" to play like 1550 for 3 years in a row and annoy the absolute poo out of me as a teammate? Forgive me for considering some of these parasites to be mentally inert because of their impotence as players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
[Bo0T]Lucifer***^

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:52 pm

{PK}Clown wrote:
I want to have fun with the game. I don't need a rating system to have fun because it is possible to have satisfactory levels of fun without being motivated by improving my rating. However, is it "normal" to play like 1550 for 3 years in a row and annoy the absolute poo out of me as a teammate? Forgive me for considering some of these parasites to be mentally inert because of their impotence as players.

Wait are you talking about Vaga ? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

ID ID : 375862

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:33 pm

If you keep playing, then yes, improvement and training is the way.
The longer the time period, the more important your skill gets.
No one wants to be a noob for years, come on.
You want to have fun for 2 months? Who cares where you play and with whom?

That's what i think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
{PK}Clown

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:20 am

Lucifer, I am definitely not Vaga!

As for people who only play for two months, well, people like that who are not committed or involved are not exactly good for the community...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AoL_Iron_maiden

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:47 am

ya i know the more serious gamers on gr are definitely the minority.
that doesn't mean they're insignificant ^^.

besides, for the aom side, i described it in [hail]boIt's talk show a few times. in a matter of 6-8 months, i noticed the general skill level of aom gr players improve roughly 50~ rr points.
Now of course there are still plenty of noobs, but the above average supremacy players have definitely improved as a group. I am constantly asked what i think ppl's rr is... and its a little bit hard to guess haha... but that'll be solved if they simply played rated games on voobly xD.

anyways i guess my point is, is that there are definitely people who would enjoy the perks of voobly Smile. Regardless how few or how many those players are ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
[Bo0T]Hell_Mirage

ID ID : 532021

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:11 pm

[Bo0T]Lucifer***^ wrote:

Some people would just like to have fun with the game and not care about rates and related stuff . Inert minds ? More like " normal " minds if you ask me .

+1

Let's not be bothered about those inert/normal minds. We can all have fun playing with the higher level guys, while they have fun with their level guys. clown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greek_Lord

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:08 pm

From my experience GR players have pretty low IQs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AoL_Iron_maiden

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:35 pm

excellent bump, gl 11
Back to top Go down
View user profile
[bMF]::Odysseus

ID ID : 481623

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:32 pm

Greek_Lord wrote:
From my experience GR players have pretty low IQs.
O super human thanks for coming here and informing us abt our IQs...but for your information its the most of gr players who play on voobly too lol..they are the same humans playing on both servers ^_^
and u came here just to say this lol?

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:20 pm

the only ones that seem to have low iq's are the noobs that join your game, regardless the title and immediately insist you GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO START GO START GO 14 GO GO GOGO GO GO GO OMFG DRIVES ME INSANE!

xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RageNrOx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:05 pm

GR is the largest AOM community, from far.
So, you're telling that our favorite game is played by low IQ's people and, in fine, you're just insulting yourselves.

AoL_Iron_maiden

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:53 am

XD
i hope you were saying that to greek_lord, and not me Smile

i was just talking a bout the noobs who, for some reason, ignore game titles lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
{PK}Clown

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:05 am

I am simply saying that the majority of random outsiders who are not on this forum and/or involved in our clans but who play AoM on GR have low IQ's. Yes, I am insulting the crowd of morons out there who think that playing for fun justifies gameplay so horrid that they can barely make it to Classical Age before 10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RageNrOx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:11 am

11, yeah they are not playing as we use to or we would like them to.

But these new comers (noobs) may have normal IQ, it's completelly different.

We're talking of AOM, not the SIMs Wink

[Bo0T]Lucifer***^

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:35 pm

{PK}Clown wrote:
I am simply saying that the majority of random outsiders who are not on this forum and/or involved in our clans but who play AoM on GR have low IQ's. Yes, I am insulting the crowd of morons out there who think that playing for fun justifies gameplay so horrid that they can barely make it to Classical Age before 10 minutes.

You do realize that gaming is just for fun and nothing else dont you ? Unless you have incredible talent and win money tournaments that is . There's not much difference between being a noob and being a medium to good player since both of these categories of players should and do play only for fun's sake.Otherwise it would be an unhealthy attachment/obsession. .

Back to top Go down
View user profile
{PK}Clown

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:23 pm

I play "for fun," but at the same time, I have had the "most fun" in competitive games where everyone had a clue what they were doing and I had to "work at it" to win. It is not as fun to noob-bash when it's clear that one is obviously a better player than the sub-10-minute-Classical. Of course there's a difference between the crowd that ages up around 10 minutes and the crowd that is beginning to develop their play to where they are at least trying to execute strats, build orders, and unit floods (i.e., an Oranos turma flood, Zeus cent+hip, etc.).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:52 pm

AoL_Iron_maiden wrote:
the only ones that seem to have low iq's are the noobs that join your game, regardless the title and immediately insist you GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO START GO START GO 14 GO GO GOGO GO GO GO OMFG DRIVES ME INSANE!

xD
This is what the low IQ statement is about. Some people can communicate though, but the proportions grow worse day by day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
berry thief

ID ID : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:27 am

I got an idea, lets get everyone running thrones of time, then pull a playerbase from aoeo (because aoeo isn't very good and would easily switch to thrones), seeing how thrones isn't eso compatible I may advertise it on eso, yes, I have access to eso.

Last edited by berry thief on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
[Bo0T]Nakamura***^

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Can you not find more ways to advertise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side   Today at 7:58 pm

Back to top Go down

Uniting the aot communities - before the game dies out on either side
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next