Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in RegisterRegister

Share | 

Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RageNrOx
Admin

ID ID : 376121

PostSubject: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi,

Following the proposal of benimussus, HERE.

as written in the title, ideas are welcome. Idea

You can discuss on different kinds of tournaments, points system, registration rules...

From your ideas, a decision will be taken.

Arrow

benimussus

ID ID : 1942751

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:07 pm

i propose :
1 v 1 league ( so that players play vs each other )
teams of 2 tournament ( and if it goes well , we might make a league ) . I was thinking to rate players by how many hard pc they an beat (only players that can beat at least 1 hard pc allowed to the tournament ) 1 hard pc - group A , 2 hard pc - group B and 3 hard pc (unlikely Very Happy ) group C . I think there will be A's and B's , and will group one A player with one B player randomly , with a program or we'll come with something up .

First , i want to know what do you think , and if you like the ideea , since mondey , let's start the registrations Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hades

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:56 pm

The "how many Hard PCs you beat" is a fine idea! However I would ask to delay any tournament for at least day 10 of August. It's because I'll have to travel next week to do a medical check up and run some school exams. Also to give time for a proper organization. If it happens, I'll spread the word to the GDM boys Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Asterion

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:09 pm

I don't really know much about tournaments. When i played aoc years a go on IGZ everything was easy cause there were ratings and special tourney servers. As Beni says, at least in the first attempts we should try an all vs all league with simple statistics: 3 points win, 1 point lose. Regarding the "vs hard computer", i think is a great idea. The most difficult point is to set playing days and to guarantee the players will play. In that case i suggest the tourney goes every sundays all day, in that case the mods open the recorded games thread and close it when monday comes. If any given sunday you have to play and you don't show up, you win 0 points, if your opponent shows up and proves he was waiting for you he will win the game and the 3 points. This is the controversial stuff and the reason most tournaments fail and players lose interest, so the planning must be very careful. After the all vs all round is over the best 4 would play brackets of 3 or 5 games to decide the winner. How does that sound?

if you want I offer to help ONLY with the schedules and group making since my forum skills suck greatly.

EDIT: oh, and also i suggest the staff picks 2 gods each sunday so the players choose one of them and avoid sticking with one tactic.

As
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RageNrOx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:19 am

Some great ideas in your posts guys Smile

First, I think that punctuality and attendance must be decisive points. If your are not present when you would have been, you lose the game, that's normal.

Groups with different levels is also a great idea cuz there is more interest playing with "same level opponents"! But the computer method seems not very easy to check.

Maybe we could make just 1 group the first time.
The bests will be in first category and the lasts in second.

In the future tourneys, new comers will start automatically in second category. At the end of the tourney, the bests of the second up to the first and the last of the first go down to the second.

This system is unfortunately not very quick but allows a relative balance between groups.

Finally, for "gods limitations", I think we could make different tournaments : Standard and limited ones (with special rules...).

win : 3pts, lose : 1pt, not here : 0 pt... I think it's quite fair like that ^^

And a championship pattern would be the most apropriate for individual tourneys (everybody plays everybody)

benimussus

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:26 am

Ok , we'll start things seriously , as hades asked .

But , since we are already 20+ , let's do a prototipe 1v1 tournament , with a 3 games ( 2 wins needed to advance ) pyramidal type .
if you want , we can make 2 paralel tournaments ( 1 for those of us who beat 2 hard pc , and 1 for those that beat only 1 , or not even 1 ) your choiche .

Those are my requests :
1. Vote , for 1 , or 2 paralel tournaments .
2. Write the number of hard pc you can defeat
3. Try to be serious , and play till the end

The tournament will be like this ( if many players will register )
first games , saturday . Top part , sunday . (for example : if 16 are registered , saturday will be played 2 rounds, after which only 4 players will remain and sunday will be played the semifinals and finals ) observers are not to be allowed ( in my opinion , they can influence the outcast ... by freezing a game in which a player might win . After replaying the frozen game , the other could win ... sooou 4th request )

4. vote if observers are allowed .

So this is how your replys should look like :
1. 2 tournaments
2. i can beat 2 hard pc's
3. i swear on my sister's teddy bear , i will play all games .
4. no , observers should not be allowed .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Asterion

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 am

i feel like adding another important thing: if the game crashes after 10 (tenth) minute, the player whose connection fucked up loses the game and gets 1 point. if the game crashes before that time it must be restarted with the same settings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RageNrOx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:36 am

@ Asterion : very good point, but 10min is too much, I can rush you in 6 minutes... so you just have to crash your connction.
Not 10, but under 5 minutes, relaunch game, after, the crasher loses. If someone crashes 2 times, (under the 5 minutes), he loses.

@ Beni, you are purposing a cup, and I purposed a championship.
Both can be done but cup is quicker to finish.

And to answer you :
1. 2 tournaments => NO, just 1 to begin
2. i can beat 2 hard pc's => maybe just 1 category for first time
3. i swear on my sister's teddy bear , i will play all games => don't swear, it's bad
4. no , observers should not be allowed => observers forbidden, all right!

Hades

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:49 am

I believe that the best system for this tournament is the Swiss System:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_system_tournament

I used to play chess, so I'm quite familiar with the system. It's a perfect match. Weak and Strong players can play on the same tournament, the system itself would eventually match weak vs weak and strong vs strong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
benimussus

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:42 am

Yes rage , i like the championship idea ( league ) more but that's why i said prototipe , and as you said the cup is almost instant , compared to the championship .
And we'll start that after the 10th of august (hades asked us)
i'll make other topic for the registrations
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hellyeah

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:53 pm

hi there,

Firstly, i thank u for organising like that

Secondly, i want to say about the rule. If the competitors will play 3 games, i think they should not choose god. Because playin 3 times is bullshit with same gods. Therefore, instead of picking out a favorite one, it should be random god.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RageNrOx
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:01 pm

Strategy is 50% linked to a god vs another... each player can choose his god so it's more interesting than rdm cuz we can do our own strategy. (eg: playing hades vs a loki or something like that. and if the loki takes oranos, hades just have to adapt...)

I think rdm god kills the game, and all strategies that make it so interesting. Players just have to adapt (in last exemple, by taking oranos instead of loki vs hades).

Organizing a rdm god tournament could be a possibility, but there would be a major chance-factor.

Evil_Vegito

ID ID : 366877

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:57 pm

If you are organising a tournament please don't create it to sunday or saturday cause i have exams every sunday and monday so i spare less time for aom.

1. I recommend 2.
2. I never played with 2 hard pcs. I always lose to titan pc Very Happy.
3. I don't have a teddy bear and a sister so i swear on my psp that i play all the games Very Happy.
4. I always like to observe when i write my home work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AKC_Pluto

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:47 am

We can have multiple tournaments.

a) how many hards can you beat so 1v3?
b) 1v1 ladder/tourney
c) 2v2
d) 4v4
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SuppaSapien3

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:59 am

Maybe a 1 vs 5 tourney with limits?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/SuppaSapien3
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system   Today at 8:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Some ideas for a feasible and fair tournament system
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1